Friday, March 28, 2008

Mass in Cantonese

As we shared with you before, learning the Cantonese language makes your hair become white in no time. With 7 (or according to some: 9) tones, one wonders how people understand each other! And apparently there is no problem for over 70 million people in China, Hong Kong and Macau.

Fr. Jojo Ancheril, our companion in the community, has completed his first year in China… and we are proud to share that he is already celebrating Mass in Cantonese…

Well… I hope it is not a similar case as it happened to me back in 1978 when I was learning Tagalog in the Philippines. I was so proud of my first Tagalog Mass, but after the Mass an old lady approached me and said: “Father, don’t worry. You can celebrate the Mass in English for us!”

Fr. Jojo has at least one more year totally dedicated to the study of the language… that inclides learning the Chinese characters as well.

No comments: