Sunday, February 07, 2010

An Unforgettable Experience of A Chinese Wedding

It was almost three years ago that I met a chinese friend Mr. Jiang in Zhuhai. And as our friendship grew I told him that I will try to attend his wedding in whatever place or when ever time. And it happened that he decided to get married on 30th of January and invited me to attend his wedding. Though it was difficult to reach the place I decided to go because he was like my own little brother. To the surprise of Jiang and his family, I arrived the previous day of his marriage and became one among them. I moved with them, played with them, and joined in what ever programmes that they had. My little broken cantonese also surprised them. I was the only one foreigner to attened his marriage. And they honoured me (I consider the honour was not for me but for the Catholic Church) in whatever way they could.

The things that touched me and inspired me are as follows:
  • The previous day of the marriage we had a family meal with the family members of bridegroom and bride. And it really expressed the unity, love, and joy of a family.
  • On the day of wedding the couples visited different parts of the city and took many pictures. This ritual gives them a strong feeling that they belong to that place and culture.
  • The most emotional and touching part of a chinese wedding is the moment in which Bride groom and Bride bow their heads before their parents and embrace them to express grattitude and maturity.
It was the first time that I attended a non catholic marriage. And I was the only one catholic and foreigner among the 200 people who attended the wedding. Many people asked me whether I am married or not. When I said that I don't marry they were anxious to know why. I told them that I am a priest and it is out of love for the boy that I am attending his marriage. Well I did not preach among them but our way of life was a kind of witness among them. They also discussed and shared their knowledge about Jesus and Christianity. At the end I found and realized that God makes use of us in fulfilling His plans.

Attending this wedding helped me to understand more about the Chinese culture and customs. It also helped me to understand how God makes use us to give witness to him.

No comments: