Wednesday, July 29, 2009

China Mission - July 2009

Grassroot Evangelization

Fr. Paul Zeng Haijun is a young Chinese priest. After teaching at the seminary for some years he is now a grass root evangelizer. Three months ago he was assigned to a parish in Heyuan City including 9 sub-stations to take care of. Recently we donated 400 copies of the Chinese Pastoral Bible for his ministry. Let him tell you about his work:

This is Guangdong Province in China. And the colored district is where I work. The main city there is Heyuan with a population of 210,000 people. The majority of the people are Cantonese and Hakka.


The Church at Heyuan, China


These pictures are taken in Heyuan City. I often stay here.

I want to train some leaders who can lead people to pray with the Bible and teach them the essentials of faith.


Everyday I am teaching them songs and help them memorize biblical sentences.


Usually there are about ten old people who pray and sing every day at the church. Often I visit people with some of them.

The following pictures are from Xiazhai Village, Dongyang county.

In this village we have no place for worship.
We gather in the houses of parishioners to pray and celebrate the Mass.

The following pictures are taken at Litian Village, another sub-station of the parish.
We do have a common place to gather and to pray here.

The following pictures are from Zhongxin Town, Liangpin County. Here there is a large place that belongs to the church, but at present is occupied by a grain supplier.
We are trying to recover this place that belongs to the church. We have locked the gate and use the two offices for our celebrations and catechetical formation. We have here about 200 parishioners. We are also trying to recover another two places that belong to the church.

Fr. Paul ends with this letter:

Reverent Fr. Alberto Rossa

I am Fr Paul Zeng Haijun. Thank you for your help. I have already received the four hundred copies of the Muling Bible. Many thanks are from my heart, I could not give anything to you, but I do believe that God will give you more than what you have given to us. My parishioners and I will pray for you and your cause with those bibles.

I could not offer the pictures of my nine places in a short time. I now have a project to improve my parishioners’ faith.

First, I am teaching them songs, and let them know those songs’ meaning. The chosen songs link with the biblical story or pure biblical sentences like the golden rules. I let them sing those songs, slowly, those songs’ meaning will go into their heart, and practice in their lives.

Secondly, I have to tell them biblical stories, these stories tell us some truth for living. And we use songs to let them learn by heart. But I know clearly that the time that I have with my parishioners is not enough. Most of the parishioners who can read the Bible, I want to teach them how to read the Bible and how to pray with the Bible. When they are at home they can read the Bible and pray with them.

Thirdly, it is important to memorize the golden biblical sentences. I teach them songs and one biblical sentence a day. The goal is to train them to have strong faith in Bible and Jesus, because the Word became the Flesh, and lives among us. Gradually they will proclaim the Gospel that they have in their minds and practice in their lives.

Lastly, the most urgent thing is training evangelizers. In fact, it takes me one month to go to all my assigned places. The best way is to teach them how to learn the Bible by themselves. So I am training the people who can be sent. I do believe that there are many people who want to serve the people, they just have no way, and they need a little training only.

In the end, I thank you for your material help, also I need more good ideas and spiritual help to let more people enjoy their lives in faith.

God blesses and loves you always!

Little brother: Zeng haijun

No comments: