In the autumn of 1958, Madam Chan On Don, a lady who worked as a maid, donated her only property located at 21, Wing Hing Street, in Peng Chau to the Diocese for evangelisation. Bishop Bianchi and the General Secretary Rev. MENCARINI, Lido PIME accepted the offer and handed the premises over to Fatima Parish of Cheung Chau.
|Island of Peng Chau|
The parish rector REV. NICOLA RUGGIERO, PIME refurbished the property, turning it into a church and commenced religious services for the locals. On 15.8.1958 (feast day of ascension of holy mother), the first batch of 30 catechumens were baptized in the chapel. By 1995, the chapel was placed under the care of Epiphany Parish of Mui Wo.
|Procession during the Feast of |
Our Lady, Queen of Peace: Peng Chau
Our Lady, Queen of Peace is the patron saint of the Catholic Community of Peng Chau. Although no priest resides in the chapel, Eucharistic Celebration is held three days of the week.
|Eucharistic Celebration in the Sports Cente, Peng Chau|
Every year, the first Sunday of October is observed as the feast day of the Peng Chau Chapel, bringing together the small Catholic community to proclaim their faith and to share the peace and joy of being a Christian.
On 2 October this year, the Chapel celebrated it's patron's feast day. Fr. John Wutherspoon, OMI who served this community over a decade ago, officiated the feast day liturgy. A good number of friends and faithful from St. Lawrence Church, Macau and also from other parishes in Hong Kong took part in the celebrations.
|At the meals' table after sharing the Table of the Lord|
Earlier, the chapel prepared itself for the feast day with a triduum on 29 September to 1 October, with the Holy eucharist and praying the rosary. The children from the Holy Family School and from Epiphany Church, Mui Wo joined the Peng Chau community in a display of music talents and dancing skills.